Virtual creatures, whose natural habitat is usually the dark woods of Angus, will enjoy a day out in the city this weekend (Saturday 17 September 2016), as Dundee shoppers get the chance to meet some of the virtual stars of Dragon Matrix.
In conjunction with ANGUSalive, members of the team behind Dragon Matrix, the Augmented Reality light show heading to Monikie Country Park in October, will be demonstrating the Dragon Matrix App, allowing shoppers to snap photos of themselves with the creatures, their friends and families,
Costumed characters, including a scientist and members of the Dragon Protection League, will give shoppers the chance to capture the magical creatures with an iPad, buy tickets and Dragon Matrix comics, and enter a prize draw to win one of four family passes.
The team will be stationed on the ground floor of Overgate, near Costa, from midday until 4pm on Saturday 17 September 2016.
With trolls, a fairy glen and even a path of spiders set to take up residence in the dark woods of ANGUSalive’s Monikie Country Park, the theatrical, mystical spectacular will see visitors embark on a quest to track six dragon stones, stolen from the Museum of Dragons, a brand new fantastical installation located in the woods of Monikie from Wednesday 5 until Monday 31 October 2016 (except 10, 17 and 24 October).
Malcolm Angus, Centre Manager, Overgate commented, “We are looking forward to welcoming Dragon Matrix to Overgate this Saturday. The virtual creatures should certainly add a unique dimension to our customers’ shopping experience and we are happy to help support a preview of what people can expect at Monikie Country Park in October.”
‘Dragon Matrix’ is supported by EventScotland, part of the VisitScotland Events Directorate, and is also part of the Year of Innovation, Architecture and Design 2016. The event is also supported by ANGUSalive and, for the first time, by The Space, which works with artists and arts organisations to support them to create great art and reach new audiences using digital technologies and platforms.
NOTE TO EDITORS
Tickets can be purchased online at tickets.dragonmatrix.org.uk.
The Box Office is open Tuesday – Friday, 1pm-6pm and on Saturday, between 10am and 3pm. On performance nights, the Box Office hours will be extended, changing to Tuesday – Friday, 1pm-7.30-pm and on Mondays, Saturdays and Sundays from 6pm-7.30pm.
Further information is available at:
Website – dragonmatrix.org.uk
Facebook – facebook.com/VMDragonMatrix
Twitter – twitter.com/vmdragonmatrix
Instagram – instagram.com/dragonmatrix2016
ANGUSalive is Scotland’s newest culture, sports and leisure trust and was established in 2015. The trust offers residents and visitors to Angus a wealth of services which promote healthy, active and creative lifestyle choices from country parks to theatres and venues. The trust also provides a full complement of modern sports centres, museums, galleries, archives and libraries across the Angus burgh. For more information visit: http://www.angusalive.scot/ or https://www.facebook.com/ANGUSalive.Scot/
EventScotland is working to make Scotland the perfect stage for events. By developing an exciting portfolio of sporting and cultural events EventScotland is helping to raise Scotland’s international profile and boost the economy by attracting more visitors. For further information about EventScotland, its funding programmes and latest event news visit www.EventScotland.org. Follow EventScotland on Twitter @EventScotNews. EventScotland is a team within VisitScotland’s Events Directorate, the national tourism organisation which markets Scotland as a tourism destination across the world, gives support to the tourism industry and brings sustainable tourism growth to Scotland. For more information about VisitScotland see www.visitscotland.org or for consumer information on Scotland as a visitor destination see www.visitscotland.com.
Year of Innovation, Architecture and Design
- 2016 will shine a spotlight on Scotland’s achievements in innovation, architecture and design through a wide-ranging, variety of new and existing activity.
- The Year of Innovation, Architecture and Design started on 1 January 2016 and will run until 31 December 2016. Itwill build on the momentum generated by the 2015 Year of Food and Drink as well as previous years including Homecoming Scotland 2014, the Year of Creative and the Year of Natural.
- Through a series of exciting events and activity, the year will showcase Scotland’s position as an “innovation nation”, its outstanding built heritage, and its thriving, internationally acclaimed fashion, textiles and design sector.
- The Year of Innovation, Architecture and Design is a Scottish Government initiative being led by VisitScotland, supported by partners including Scottish Government, Creative Scotland, Architecture + Design Scotland, Scottish Tourism Alliance, Scottish Enterprise, The National Trust for Scotland, Historic Environment Scotland, Highlands and Islands Enterprise and The Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland (RIAS).
- The Year of Innovation, Architecture and Design events fund is managed by EventScotland, part of VisitScotland’s Events Directorate
The Space works with artists and arts organisations to create great art and reach new audiences through digital technologies and platforms. From learning and skills through to funding and commissioning, the organisation supports the best new and original talent. The Space was founded by the BBC and Arts Council, England.